The Trick To Keeping Yellow Jackets Away From Your McKinney Home
May 30, 2022
If you enjoy spending time out in your yard here in McKinney, then you are probably always looking for ways to keep yellow jackets away. There’s nothing worse than trying to enjoy an outdoor gathering, play with your kids and pets, or simply spend time outside enjoying the sun only to have it ruined by these obnoxious stinging pests. A great reason for professional pest control in McKinney is that yellow jackets are quite common here. Read on to learn how to identify a yellow jacket, find out what attracts them to your yard, and how EcoArmor Pest Defense can help your home be yellow jacket-free today.
How To Identify Yellow Jackets
There are several different types of yellow jackets, but here in McKinney, we have what is called the southern yellow jacket. Below are some of the ways you can identify southern yellow jackets:
- Size: Worker yellow jackets are usually about half an inch in length, and the queens are larger.
- Color: Not surprisingly, yellow jackets are yellow, with black stripes. However, the queen is usually more yellow-orange, and the black stripes are less pronounced.
- Wings: When not flying, the wings of a worker southern yellow jacket will fold alongside the body of the insect, making them look long and lean.
- Colonies: If you spot a nest, there are typically between 500 and 15,000 cells in that hive, and around several thousand individuals will call that hive home. However, if left undisturbed, some hives can grow so large there could be up to one million cells and over 100,000 worker yellow jackets.
No matter which of the different types of yellow jackets are invading your home, the best way to kill yellow jackets is to call a professional.
Does Anything Instantly Kill Yellow Jackets?
There are many things on the market for yellow jacket removal; however, these chemicals rarely do the trick in exterminating the entire hive. It still remains true that the best way to kill yellow jackets is through a professional exterminator, as they have tools that are not readily available to the general public. In addition, without professional pest control in McKinney, even if you manage to remove a nest, without proper prevention strategies in place, the pests will come right back.
What Attracts Yellow Jackets To Your Yard
In order to know how to keep yellow jackets away, you must understand what attracts them to your property in the first place. Below are some reasons why yellow jackets might be invading your yard:
- Flowers: Technically speaking, yellow jackets are pollinators and are therefore attracted to flowers. If you have a lot of flowers planted, this may be one of the reasons you have an infestation.
- Other insects: One way to keep yellow jackets away is to deal with any other insect infestation you might be experiencing, as yellow jackets will sometimes come into yards looking for a free meal in the form of another insect.
- Garbage: Famous for buzzing around trash bins, yellow jackets find trash very appealing. If you do not properly secure your garbage bins, more yellow jackets will be hanging around.
- Sweet smells: Leaving foods and drinks outside that emit sweet odors, such as soda or juice, will lure yellow jackets into your yard, as they are attracted to those smells.
When you consult a professional for yellow jacket removal, they will help you set your home up in such a way that it is no longer appealing to yellow jackets, reducing the number of stinging insects on your property.
What Is The Best Treatment For Yellow Jackets
If you are suffering from a yellow jacket infestation in your yard, don’t try to remove them yourself. Here at EcoArmor Pest Defense, we have nearly ten years of experience safely removing yellow jacket nests. Our expert pest control technicians have the skills and tools required to treat your yard effectively. Each of our treatments is customized to fit your unique situation, and we will work with you to implement prevention strategies to ensure your infestation does not return. We understand how frustrating a yellow jacket infestation can be, so if your yard is overrun, let us help you take it back. Call us today!