Should You Be Concerned If You Spot Fire Ants Around Your McKinney Home?
No one likes dealing with ants. They are quite the nuisance, disrupting your lawn, driveway, and walkways with their anthills. Certainly, no one likes finding ants inside their home, especially their kitchen. However, of all the ants to find lurking around your home, fire ants are probably the worst, making professional pest control in McKinney essential to homeowners here. Keep reading to learn why fire ants are so dangerous to have in your yard and how EcoArmor Pest Control can help your yard be fire ant-free today!
Is This A Fire Ant?
Several different types of ants call McKinney home, and many of them are likely to be found around your house. However, because of how dangerous fire ant bites can be, it is important to know how to identify one. Below are some of the characteristics these ants will have if they are, indeed, fire ants:
- Despite the name, fire ants are a very dull red. In some cases, this red color can also look brown, and the end of their bodies are black.
- Not surprisingly, this type of ant has a stinger on the end of its body as well.
- Fire ants have six legs total, with three on each side of the body.
- With two large eyes set far apart from each other, the fire ant’s head also has two large pincers for jaws.
- Fire ants have antennae on their head.
If you aren’t sure if the ant in your yard is a fire ant or not, don’t get any closer while trying to find out. Instead, contact a McKinney fire ant control professional at EcoArmor Pest Control; we can help you figure out what you’re dealing with safely.
What To Do If Fire Ants Bite You
Anyone can fall victim to fire ant bites and stings; however, children and pets are the most vulnerable. If you or someone in your family is on the receiving end of fire ant bites, below are the best things to do:
- Get an ice pack and gently apply it to the bite and sting sites. Often, this will be on your legs, and there are usually multiple bites, so make sure the ice is covering the entire area; ice on and off in 15-minute intervals.
- To help reduce swelling, raise the afflicted body part and let it rest on something while applying ice.
- Unfortunately, these bites tend to itch. The good news is that there are plenty of over-the-counter hydrocortisone creams and antihistamines you can take to reduce the itching.
These are great tips for those who are not allergic to fire ant bites. Unfortunately for some, fire ant bites can result in far worse symptoms than stinging and itchiness.
How To Tell If You Are Allergic To Fire Ants
If fire ants have bitten you or someone you know, it is possible to have an allergic reaction to the bites. Below are the symptoms you will experience if you are allergic:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of the tongue or throat
- Loss of consciousness
If you begin to experience any of these symptoms after being bitten by fire ants, seek medical attention immediately. It is possible that an allergic reaction could become so severe you go into anaphylactic shock.
Fire Ant Prevention Tips For McKinney Residents
One of the reasons professional home pest control in McKinney is so important is because of pests like fire ants. Here at EcoArmor Pest Control, we have dealt with fire ants for almost ten years. Armed with the most advanced tools on the professional market and years of training, our expert technicians will safely and effectively exterminate entire fire ant colonies on your property. Additionally, they will work with you to implement prevention strategies to ensure they do not return. If fire ants are making it hard to enjoy your yard, don’t wait; give us a call today for help and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in McKinney.