Shielding Yourself From The Mosquitoes In McKinney
August 10, 2022
Mosquitoes are pesky little insects that can ruin a perfectly good day. Not only do they leave behind itchy bites, but they can also transmit harmful diseases. If you live in McKinney, you're probably all too familiar with these bloodsuckers. EcoArmor Pest Defense will discuss how to identify mosquito bites, what attracts them in the first place, ways to repel mosquitoes, and how pest control in McKinney can help you keep them away for good.
How To Identify Mosquito Bites
Mosquito bites usually appear as small, red bumps on the skin. They can be itchy and painful, and sometimes they even swell up. If you have a reaction to a mosquito bite, you may also experience symptoms like hives, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. If you think you've been bitten by a mosquito, it's important to monitor your symptoms. If you develop any concerning symptoms, be sure to see a doctor right away.
Dangerous diseases carried by mosquitoes include Zika virus, West Nile virus, and malaria. While these diseases are rare in the United States, they can be serious or even deadly. If you think you may have been exposed to one of these diseases, it's important to seek medical attention.
Four Things Attracting Mosquitoes To Your Property
So, what exactly attracts mosquitoes in the first place?
There are a few things that can attract these pests:
- Standing water: Mosquitoes lay their eggs in water, so standing water is a major attractant.
- Decaying leaves and grass: If you have a lot of decaying leaves or tall grass on your property, mosquitoes will be attracted to the moisture.
- Lush vegetation: Mosquitoes like to hide in tall grass and bushes. If you have a lot of vegetation on your property, mosquitoes will be more likely to stick around.
- Lights: Mosquitoes are attracted to light, so keep your outdoor lights off as much as possible. If you do need to use outdoor lights, be sure to use yellow "bug" lights rather than traditional white lightbulbs.
As you can see, there are a number of reasons mosquitoes want to move onto your McKinney property. Read on for tips on how to prevent them.
Mosquito Prevention Tips Everyone Ought To Know
Now that you know what attracts mosquitoes, you can take steps to prevent them from coming onto your property in the first place.
Here are a few ways to keep mosquitoes away from your property:
- Eliminate standing water: As we mentioned before, mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, so removing it is one of the best ways to control mosquitoes. Be sure to empty out any buckets, kiddie pools, or other containers of standing water around your property.
- Keep your grass short: Long grass provides a perfect hiding spot for mosquitoes. Be sure to trim your grass regularly to keep them at bay.
- Remove decaying leaves and debris: If you have a lot of decaying leaves or debris on your property, mosquitoes will be attracted to the moisture. Be sure to remove these items from your property to keep mosquitoes away.
By implementing these methods, you can take steps toward keeping pesky mosquitoes at bay. If you have a major infestation, however, it may be best to call a professional exterminator to get rid of the mosquitoes.
Benefits Of Professional Mosquito Control
If you're tired of dealing with mosquitoes on your McKinney property, we can help. At EcoArmor Pest Defense, we offer a variety of pest control services, including mosquito control. We'll work with you to create a custom treatment plan and determine the best way to kill mosquitoes in your yard. We also provide preventive services in McKinney that will help you keep them away for good. Contact us today to learn more about our home pest control and commercial pest control services or to schedule a free estimate.